Student Athletes, Coaches and Officials at UWA
Have you got what it takes to be an elite performer at UWA?
The University of Western Australia has a long history of commitment to supporting athlete in pursuing sport at the highest level. The UWA Student Athlete Development Program has been designed to support and facilitate high performing student athletes, coaches and officials in balancing the demands of study and sport during their time at university. Through the Student Athlete Development Program, athletes, coaches and officials gain exposure to development opportunities, have access to financial support through UWA Sport Scholarships, and are provided with the support networks necessary to aid them in balancing dual career aspirations. With over 350 athletes on campus, representing more than 40 different sports, the UWA Student Athlete Development Program is the largest and most comprehensive elite athlete university program in Western Australia.
Student Athlete Development Program
The Student Athlete Development Program aims to assist high performing athletes, coaches and officials at UWA who seek to combine their sporting pursuits with positive academic pursuits. The program supports student members at a high state level through to those who are internationally competitive.
The program strives to provide support to members in pursuing both academic and sporting excellence through the following services:
- Various education and development opportunities specific to high performance sport and pursuing dual career aspirations
- Access to a support network of staff within the University who can assist in balancing academics with sporting pressures.
- Campus facilities that aid efficient and time effective training
- Support services that that position students with an opportunity to maximise their employability post-graduation
- Access to social events to connect with a community of over 350 likeminded students.
Upon application and agreement of the program terms and conditions you will be notified via email of the outcome of your application.
UWA Future Student Athletes
Are you worried about how to juggle your training and competition travel with your future studies at UWA? Then the Future Student Athlete Program is for you. This program is designed for students in Years 10, 11 and 12 who are considering attending UWA while continuing with their sporting pursuits.
Members of the Future Student Athlete Program receive updates and access to future student athlete tours, scholarship applications, entry dates, support with your application to UWA, and information on available courses.
Registered future student athletes gain a range of exclusive opportunities, including:
- Learning about the key academic, social, athletic and career benefits of the UWA Sport Student Athlete Development Program
- Gaining understanding about entry pathways for Year 12 students
- Learning about scholarships, funding and other financial assistance available to student athletes at UWA
- Learning about interstate and international Team UWA representation opportunities
- Gaining unique insight into student athlete life at UWA through student athlete tours
- Hearing from current student athletes and benefits available to them
- Asking questions directly of UWA Sport staff
- Acquiring a direct point of contact at the University.
Program members do not need to be completing ATAR to join the program. We can help non-ATAR students understand the range of admission entry pathways available at UWA. Students studying at TAFE or other institutions are also welcome to join the program.
The UWA Sport Performance team are available for in-person presentations about the Student Athlete Development Program. To arrange, contact the team at [email protected]
Future Student Athlete Tour
Gain a unique insight into student athlete life at UWA! Tour the UWA Crawley campus and meet the Performance team and current student athletes face to face. This tour will showcase the key aspects of UWA essential to student athlete life and achieving sporting and academic success! Visit the UWA Sport gym and aquatic facilities, hear from the Schools Engagement team on admissions and entry pathways and learn about the world class research in Human Movement happening here at UWA.
When: Monday 4 July 2022, 9am
Where: UWA Fitness and Recreation Centre
RSVP: RSVP by 5pm, 3 July 2022
UWA understands the pressures of being an elite athlete, coach or official and values the commitment of students to their dual aspirations. There are a range of scholarships available to student athletes increase their chances of success in both their sport and their academic pursuits.
The Sports Bursaries program provides the foundations to build a comprehensive support structure for elite and high performing student athletes, coaches and officials here at UWA. The program has assisted a number of students across various sports, contributing to costs associated with equipment, professional development and competition.
2022 bursary applications open 8 June 2022 and close 15 August 2022.