UWA Sports Park Lighting Upgrade
We are upgrading the lighting at UWA Sports Park to community level training standard for winter sports.
The University of Western Australia (UWA) with assistance from the West Australian Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries is delivering a major lighting upgrade at UWA Sports Park.
UWA Sport is upgrading the lighting at UWA Sports Park to community level training standard for winter sports.
The lighting project will deliver 100 Lux to the Australian Rules Football, Athletics, Rugby and Soccer playing fields. Capacity has also been integrated into the design to allow us to light one main playing field for each sporting code to community competition standard in the future.
Construction commences: Monday 8 April, 2019
- Trenching: Monday 8 April – Sunday 26 May, 2019
- Trenching is required to provide the conduit for power to the new light poles and switchboards. The trenching will not impact playing surfaces and will be re-turfed daily.
- Pole Foundations: Monday 29 April – Monday 27 May
- Twenty-four pole foundations will be cored to 4 metres deep and one metre wide. Some of the pole foundation construction sites may be close to run-off safety margin for some playing fields. Sports affected by these works will be contacted directly.
- Pole Lifting: Monday 24 June – Tuesday 23 July
- This is when we attach the lighting frames to the poles and lift them onto their foundations.
- Lighting Commission Process: November, 2019
- Over the next three weeks the new lights will be tested with existing lights phased out ready for November completion.
- Lighting Project Completed: November, 2019
- Complete project completed. Note: The timeline is subject to change, please check back regularly for updates.
Please Note: The timeline is subject to change, please check back regularly for updates.
UWA Sport and its clubs and patrons acknowledge the significant contribution of UWA and the support of the West Australian Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will current lighting standards be maintained throughout the project?
Yes, the current lighting standards will be maintained from the project start date to the project completion date.
What is the lighting standard for community training community competition?
You can download the full copy of the Australian Lighting Standards (AS 2560.1 – 2002: Sport Lighting Part 1: General Principals) from the Depart of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries website.
How will I know if I will be affected by the lighting upgrade?
We are working directly with your club committee regarding any construction that may disrupt your training and/or playing dates/times.
When will the project be complete?
The project is due to be complete by Sunday 4 August, 2019. Timings for projects of this scale may need to be adjusted. Please check back regularly for updates.
What does Lux (illuminance) mean?
Lux (symbol: lx) is the total amount of visible light illuminating a point on a surface from all directions above the surface.
How will the project affect flora and fauna of Sports Park?
As part of regular maintenance at Sports Park, UWA conducts an annual audit of high-risk trees. In the 2019 audit, a few high-risk trees were identified and removed along the southern bank. The night roosting area for Carnaby Cockatoos has been unaffected by the trees removed in the annual audit. Furthermore, this area will not be affected by the upcoming lighting upgrades.
I have a question, who can I contact?
All questions that relate to Lighting Upgrade Project UWA Sports Park should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org